FSFE Edu-Team activities
- As in the previous months, we worked on the edu pages
- further planning for a meeting
- Missed this last month: Sebastian had a lightning talk at a conference in Zurich (German)
- One portion of the Azúcar update this month was a post about How to create activities with sugar web and help them communicate with python
- Aleix Pol wrote about how to install KDE apps (this includes KDE edu) on Android devices. As we were asked for good edu apps for Tablets, this may be an option for some teachers.
- VALS Semester of Code is looking for #FreeSoftware projects
- School RaspberryPi high altitude ballooning project needs help
- A series of Free Software solutions aimed at the educational community was presented at Bi-Open-Eduka, a conference in Bilbao, Spain
- Edutopia with Vitalinux took place on May 31, 2014 in Zaragoza, Spain (Spanish)
- Bryan Behrenshausen sums up a presentation by Heidi Ellis 16 FOSSisms all educators should know
- Interview with Raspberry Pi Foundation’s education team (Carrie Anne Philbin, Clive Beale, and Ben Nuttall) disucssing IT teaching in the UK
- Black Duck recently released the results of the 2014 Future of Open Source Survey. One of the findings: “The education (76 percent), government (67 percent) and health care (45 percent) sectors are expected to be most impacted by open source in the near future.”
- Vienna moves back to Free Software again. The whole public administration (including schools) will use more Free Software in the future (German).
- The Linux Foundation issued a report on Linux Jobs in Europe. Maybe instersting for decision makers in education to know that the high demand on developers and sys-admins can’t be satisfied at the moment.
- Some of the Raspberry Pi Foundation team were out in San Francisco at Maker Faire. MAKE interviewed Clive Beale about the Pi and recent developments with their education effort.
- A short rant on why iPads are a wrong choice for schools as parents are currently being forced to buy them in Needham, MA.
- Free RaspberryPi CPD for teachers/leaders/technicians in Birmingham