Last week in Amarok

Since we were quite busy in the last weeks, here comes a report about the last month in Amarok. The main reason for this delay is the following:

We released Amarok 2.4 beta !

You can read all about the beta release here: Amarok 2.4 Beta 1 "Closer" Released
Please test it extensively and report the bugs and errors you find. Thank you already for helping to make Amarok 2.4 even better!

Transcoding is here

By Teo Mrnjavac: The long awaited music transcoding feature from this year’s Google Summer of Code has finally been merged. Currently, transcoding between local tracks is supported with a variety of encoders, while transcoding to media devices is being postponed until we finish some major restructuring in the media devices stack. As the code is quite young it might be a bit buggy, so testing and bug reporting is strongly encouraged.

Google Code-in tasks

By Valorie Zimmermann: Our #rokymotion IRC channel has been humming 24 hours a day it seems, with all the Google Code-In students checking in. Tasks were written for an article for the next Amarok Insider, and many pages of the forth-coming Handbook. Since the Code-In continues until January, it seems like the students will help us even more in the coming month! So far, out of 20 tasks I’ve set, only three remain open for claiming, two are being done, and the rest finished successfully! This is a huge gain for Amarok, for KDE, and for the students also!

At the half-way point, this is what has been completed:

• Pedro Oliveira Raimundo (pedromundo): an article about APG for the Insider, the Handbook page: AutomaticPlaylistGenerator;
  • Sasu Karttunen (skfin): Handbook pages for the CoverManager and SavedPlaylists;
  • Ivan Nakov: Handbook pages PlaylistFiltering, and Playlist;
  • Daniel Marth: Handbook pages SearchInCollection, and TagEditor;
  • Paul Ivan: Handbook page OrganizeCollection;
  • Salma Sultana: Handbook pages ScriptManager, and ViewMenu;
  • Caleb: Handbook page AmarokMenu; rfw: Handbook page Playlist.

A round of applause for their contributions to Amarok, to KDE, and to Free and Open Source Software!

Bugs and wishes

Over the last 4 weeks we had a more intense bug triaging, especially with the help of Ogynan Angelov and Samuel Brack who worked on the bug triaging task in KDE’s Google Code-In during the last two weeks.
Overall we closed not less than 187 bugs: 73 bugs have been fixed, of which 22 were major bugs or crashes and we implemented 6 wishes. 8 reports were marked as invalid, 90 were duplicate reports and 9 were reports for bugs upstream. Thank you very much Ogynan and Samuel, you did a tremendous triaging work!

Be Sociable, Share!

flattr this!

This entry was posted in Amarok. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Last week in Amarok

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Last week in Amarok | Myriam’s blog -- Topsy.com

2. Magnus Bergmark says:

Sorry for being off topic, but what is the name of that task manager in the screenshot?

On topic:
    Congrats on the release. I might try it out! :-)

• Daniel Andre says:

Don’t know for sure, but one candidate is smooth tasks, it looks very similar.

• myriam says:

Thats a plain panel configured to be centered with the default plasma task manager widget set to max one row, on my second screen. The main panel is on the first screen. So nothing fancy at all :)

• Fri13 says:

But the normal task panel widget does have text on every task. While smooth task widget is by default “icons only” mode. Like in the screenshot.

3. bongoben says:

Amarok is a nice OS – it lacks a media player, though.

4. joethefox says:

Even if beta, one of the most stable e complete release I’ve used (Version 2.4-GIT
    Using KDE 4.5.85 (4.6 Beta2) compiled on 13-dec-2010) . The quality and attention to details are beginning to be evident, thank you for your effort.

Just one note: why you never focus users attention on the playback quality of loseless file thanks to the option”direct hardware device without any conversions” (bitexact playback) in phonon playback settings? Who like listen quality music (hi-fi) are looking for these features, look at WASAPI plugin for foobar2000 for example, we have native support for it, thanks to alsa/phonon framework, promote these features I think would be a right thing.

Rock me amarok! (cit.)

• Sorry, I don’t really understand what you mean. Could you please file a bug report for Amarok or Phonon? It’s unclear to me whether you think this is an Amarok bug, or Phonon…

PS: http://bugs.kde.org

• joethefox says:

NO!!!!! sorry for my bad english, I’m talking about a features that I found while configuring Amarok not a bug! Under Settings->Configure Amarok->Playback->Sound System Configuration->Configure Phonon-> Music-> Output device I can choose “Direct hardware device without any conversions”, that should mean that the audio bitstream isn’t processed by any software mixer, so I have a bitexact playback. That’s amazing, not a bug!!! I was wondering why do not you annoverarate between the potential for amarok.

• joethefox says:

N.B.: when I say “I can choose “Direct hardware device without any conversions”, I mean like output device.

• aaa says:

You could tell alsa not to use dmix and talk directly to the device. Obviously you will lose the possibility to have 2 sounds at the same time.

As far as I understand if you set the volume to 100% both in amarok and kmix (alsamixer) no mixing is done (provided that only 1 sound source is playing at the same time).

5. Aisen says:

I couldn’t say from the screenshot that it is a music player. Too much clutter.

• Cyril says:

But you can switch of nearly all elements.
      Such a configuration, however, would be kinda awkward for presentation screenshot. ;-)

6. Malte says:

Is there hope that the awsome Shoutcast directory support from 1.4 is coming back to the default Amarok anytime soon?

I currently use this:

But I think people would be amazed to install a media player and have a huge list of categorized stream already available. Instead now people that remember that feature go hunt and finde that script. But the rest is left out in the cold and have to copy and paste radio stream urls that they found using the Shoutcast webpage.

7. Pingback: Recopilación de enlaces de interés. 50ª Semana de 2010 : KDE Blog

8. Andy F says:

What’s going on with all the colors in the playback seeking bar on the top of the window?