Mikko Stephen Eley
I’m keen to collaborate on free software projects and meet employers offering opportunities in the arts, IT and media, locally in London, online and worldwide. I’m especially keen to meet those working for social change, building free software projects and creating copy-left media. Please see my portfolio for examples of my creative work.
- IT: mia [at] fsfe [dot] org
- English (Fluent)
- Finnish (Conversational and 4 Finnish University Credits – Grade B at Advanced Level)
Programming Languages and Technologies:
- Working knowledge of HTML 5
- Practical knowledge of CSS and web design principles
- Familiarity with XML
- Experience with WordPress and indexhibit
- Basic working knowledge of Java
- Experience with Processing
- A passing interest in Python and Ruby
- GitHub profile
- Ten years experience using Unix and GNU/Linux systems like Mac OS X, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Debian
- Administrator of multiple WordPress instances my own indexhibit portfolio
- Over 10 years experience using multimedia software such as Adobe CSS and free software alternatives
- Experienced with photographic digital work flow with Lightroom and Aperture
- Proficient with video editing and transcoding with iMovie and free software tools
- Competent at basic desktop publishing with InDesign and Scribus
- Skilled at audio editing using Audacity, Ardour, GarageBand and free software tools
- 10 years experience with vector illustration programs like Illustrator and InkScape
- Adept at using standard office software like MS Office and LibreOffice
- Location work across Europe and Canada
- Studio and lighting experience
- Darkroom skills with digital and chemical technologies
Assorted computer science modules
London (2006 – 2009)
Studied part time, learning advanced mathematics and acquiring a basic understanding of programming languages and databases using Java, Haskell and SQL. Learned business management and ethics and honed presentation skills.
London College of Communication
BA (Hons) Photography
Clerkenwell (2000 – 2004)
Graduated with an honors degree producing a large body of lens based work. Completed a dissertation looking at the links between mental health and creativity.
Foundation Studies in Art and Design
Chislehurst (1998 – 1999)
Developed my love for experimental lens based media while exploring multiple possibilities in art and design. I got to grips with image manipulation software and digital printing techniques and explored the possibilities of emerging digital imaging software.
King Alfred School
A-Levels and GCSE’s
Golders Green (1994 – 1998)
Gained a firm academic foundation in languages, sciences and maths. Nurtured a love of arts and photography producing a large archive of photographic work. First got to grips with IT and programming.
London and Malta (May 2011 – Sep 2011)
Worked part time with the holistic therapy and massage business setting up their online presence. Provided art-working and web design services. Advised on hardware and service procurement and provided help with social media and support in securing, implementing and transitioning appropriate services to the clients needs.
Hackney, London (January 2011 – April 2011)
Worked part time for the international street art collective assisting in organizing exhibitions, shows and private views. Helped to document the production of works and promote the art to influential media outlets like Brooklyn Street Art. Helped to expand their digital presence and use of online social media. Tracked down at least ten important industry contacts through exhaustive research.
London, Helsinki and Chicoutimi (May 2005 – December 2012)
Worked with a variety of clients including design studios, picture agencies, professional dancers, fashion designers, journalists, magazines, national newspapers, musical artists and record labels. Clients included Time Out New York, Blood and Fire, Island Records, Eeva Litmanen, Talvin Singh, Vuokko Nurmesniemi, Tero Saarinen and Janni Turtiainen.
Sales Assistant and Digital Imagining Advisor
New Oxford Street (Oct 2004 – May 2005)
Sold professional printing, camera and scanning equipment plus supplies in a flagship store for one of UK’s then biggest camera retailers. Developed public facing customer care and provided expert advice to amateur and professional photographers.
Worked at an arts management company and two design agencies preparing mood boards and artwork, catalogued and ordered a reference library and maintained office portfolios, Provided scanning and retouching services to approximately ten in-house designers.
Freelance Runner and Junior 3D Imaging Technician
SVC, Blue Post Productions, VTR, The Clinic, Lola
Soho (1998 – 2005)
Looked after reception and studio kitchen. Ran office errands. Logged tapes and assisted on studio shoots. Promoted to work with 3D animators as an Apple Macintosh operator.
- Contributed article to “The John Trouble Manifesto” John Trouble launched at DIY Cultures
- Contributed article to “Who is John Trouble?” John Trouble launched at Queer Sunday Supermarket
- Art Portfolio
- Technology and free Software Blog
- Personal Blog
Community, Societies and Volunteering
- Became a Fellow of the Free Software Society Europe helping to promote software freedom (April 1st 2013)
- Offered guidance and support to projects for social change as part of Spring of Code (2012)
- Volunteered with the Open Rights Group, helping them record and edit videos of talks, London (2009-2010)
- Chairman of the LGBT Society at the University of the Arts, London (2000 – 2001)
On-line Study and Extra Courses
- Coursera I am taking many on-line courses from universities around the world through Coursera where I try to extend my commitment to life long learning (2012-2013)
- Codecademy I try to brush up on my programming in this fun on-line environment where you can earn badges for solving programming problems (2011-2013)
- Raindance Film makers Foundation Certificate, London (2009)
- Seminar on Finnish Language and Culture in Helsinki, Finland Society, Finland (Summer 2008)