If you are reading this post is probably because you have questions about “Telepathy-KDE”… I’m sorry, you won’t find the answers here, yet. But since you are here… We want you to contribute the Q&A with your questions! (yeah, I must admit this is cheating)
I just came home from the Telepathy-KDE Sprint and I’m reading blog posts and comments. What I just realized is that people still don’t understand exactly what is telepathy, why do we want it in kde, if it will just replace kopete, if it will die like decibel, if it will be maintained and by who, what is a tube, if it can do <insert your favorite cool feature here>.
I think that we really need to do an effort to clarify everything to both “users” and “developers”, because we believe that telepathy is REALLY cool and it’s a shame if we are not able to transmit our enthusiasm to you…
A good start could be a good Q&A page somewhere (probably the KDE wiki will be a good place). I don’t have much time in this period and I prefer spending time coding than trying to guess what people wants to know! So please, leave your questions here as comment and I’ll try to answer to all of them.
Just ask anything you want to know. Also help is very welcome, so if you know something but you think that people might ignore, or if you can answer to a previous question feel free to leave both questions and answers.
Also I think the Q&A should be split in sections by category of users, so when you leave a question tell me who you are (this will be really helpful in sorting the questions):
- a “basic user” (what the hell is telepathy, I just want to chat with my friends with a nice interface)
- an “advanced user” (you will be using basic application like chat, file transfer, but want also advanced features)
- a “developer” (you want to use instant messaging features in your application)
- a “contributor” (you contribute or you want to help us developing telepathy integration in kde and plasma)
- an “empathy user” or a “gnome user” (you already use empathy you want to know some details in what Telepathy-KDE is different from empathy and why our instant messaging application won’t have a cool name)
- “someone else” (please specify)